BREAKING NEWS

Fashion

vendredi 30 octobre 2015

EXERCISE OF THE MONTH: THE WALL SIT

It’s funny, but until about 6 months ago I had never ever performed the wall sit. It was my personal trainer who had me do it and when he demonstrated the exercise, he looked so relaxed and comfortable I really thought it would be a piece of cake! I was wrong. Upon starting the exercise he told me that my bottom was too high up and to squat deeper..ouch! Now I could feel it. Within 45 seconds my legs were shaking and I managed a pathetic 1.25 minutes. “Was that good?” I asked my trainer. “Below Average” he told me!
WallSit
But just like the plank it is one exercise you can perform just about anywhere, without any gym equipment  and with practice you will improve your time. Basically the exercise involves sitting, with your back against a wall (in a squat position) and simply holding the position for as long as you can. It is important that the legs are at a 90 degree angle. Apparently you are not supposed to rest your hands on your thighs, but instead to hold them above your head or even in front of you to work your shoulders. The exercise builds isometric strength as well as endurance in the quads and glutes – a favorite exercise to perform for the pre-ski season!
I had little idea of this exercise, but am told that it is used in crossfit classes, school gyms, boxing clubs and the army! I can see why! There are also a number of variations which include one legged wall sits and holding weights in your hands too.
Modified-Wall-Sit
Interesting Fact: Dr. Thienna Ho set the Guinness World Record for the longest wall sit at 11 hours and 51 minutes. That’s insane!

Enregistrer un commentaire